- 4 Tbsp Usalted Butter
- 1 lb Softshell Turtle Meat Cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 Cup Onion, Finely Diced
- 1 Cup Celery, Finely Diced
- 1/4 Cup Green Onion, Finely Sliced
- 2 tsp Garlic, Minced
- 2 Fresh Bay Leaves
- 1 1/2 Cup Fresh Tomato, Diced
- 1 Qt Beef Stock
- 1 Pinch Cayenne
- 1 Pinch Ground Allspice
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Marjoram, Chopped
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 4 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 Tbsp Sherry
- 3 Hard Boiled Eggs, Whites diced, Yolks Riced
- Lemon Slices
- 5 tsp Italian Parsley, Finely Chopped
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
Melt the 1 Cup of Butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan, whisk in the flour, cook to make a peanut butter colored Roux. Set aside.
In a large saucepan or dutch oven, melt the 4 Tbsp of Unalted Butter over medium-high heat, add the diced Turtle Meat and saute until nicely browned.
Lower the heat to medium, add both types of onions, the celery, and garlic. Season with salt and black pepper. Saute until the vegetables are tender.
Add the tomatoes, season with a little salt so they will break down, cook for 10 minutes.
Add the Beef Stock, Worcestershire, Cayenne, Allspice, and Bay Leaves. Bring to a boil, then down to a simmer. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally and skimming off any impurities that may rise to the surface.
Whisk in the Roux, simmer until thickened and smooth. Add the Thyme, and Marjoram, simmer for 15-20 minutes more.
Add the Lemon Juice, 3 tsp of the Parsley, and the riced Egg Yolk, heat through.
Serve garnished with Lemon Slices, Diced Egg Whites, and Parsley. Add the Sherry at the table, about 1-2 tsp per bowl.